Odd News ~ Betty's YouTube ~ UncleGadget's YouTube

The more you give, the
more I can give back!

There has been,

Hits to Betty's
Pubs since
Sept. 30th, 2004

~Share this page or article on Facebook~

Author Topic: Movie Night at Betty's.  (Read 8523 times)

Offline Betty

• Administrator
  • Winner of the Golden Panties Award
60s Star Trek-season 2
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 11:43:04 PM »
I've added episodes 1-10 of the second season of Star Trek to our private Television section.

File sizes vary from 85mb to 180mb per 48-50 minute episode. The entire 10 episodes combined is around 1.47gb, for about 8 hours of high quality video.

Quality varies from DVD quality to almost HD quality. All of these are in my special widescreen "BettyVision", so you can see them like you never saw them before.

Enjoy!

They're all in our TV section at,
http://pearlcorona.org/betties/index.php?board=9.0
(members only access)

Offline Betty

• Administrator
7 classic movies 1929-1988
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 06:07:23 AM »
The week I bring you a few more old classic gems.

1. This first movie from 1929, in modern times, is praised as one of the best movies ever made. However, back in 1929 most critics didn't like it. It's a silent B&W movie but was intended to be played with music. In this copy, the music don't start until the orchestra plays in the film. It's a mixture of clips showing urban life in Kharkiv, Kiev, Moscow & Odessa. Soviet citizens are shown at work and at play, and interacting with the machinery of modern life. It took 3 years to film.

203mb, B&W SVCD quality, 67 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~

2. This 1933 B&W film is considered a rare classic. Although one would have been able to see & tape it off a cable channel, like Turner Classics, it was unavailable in home video until the DVD was released in 2010. The story, had been done to death in many versions & cartoons. This version was considered a flop, & only started getting praise when it aired on cable TV, & the DVD became available. Now it's considered a fantastic classic. The all-star cast is featured in some pretty amazing costumes, & the lead star's dress is pretty. The studio cut a lot of parts out of the film for the cable & DVD release. I hope the original full 90 minute film still exists, & that someday they may release it complete.

186mb, SVCD quality BettyVision, 72 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~

3. This is another B&W 1933 film. Rotten Tomatoes rated it as the greatest horror film of all time and the twentieth greatest film of all time. Until this week, I hadn't watched this movie since I was a kid on a B&W 25" TV set (that was a huge TV in those days). Wow. I think I enjoyed it now more than I did as a kid. Even the old-style, dated special effects, & stop-action animation seems to just add to the creepiness, & scares of the movie. There were remakes of this film done in 1976, 2005, & another one due out later this year. Has anyone seen the remakes? I haven't. Were they any good?

229mb, DVD quality BettyVision, 98 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. For our next film we move up 30 years to another B&W classic. It's a comical Cold War satire, loosely based on 1958 novel, Red Alert. It was nominated for 4 Academy Awards. But in those days only the most serious, artistic, or musical films ever won an Oscar. It's incredibly odd, funny, & interesting... especially these days with the USA's nuke button in the hands of a crazy crooked liar.

144mb, DVD quality, 91 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~

5. We move up to 1967 with a color musical for this weekend's fifth feature. I guess I just don't have the "Musical" gene. I like music, but really don't care much for most musicals. This one though is visually pleasing. It also doesn't break into a nonsensical song & dance every other minute. It actually has fair a story to enjoy & a reasonable amount of acting. A few cool & pretty dresses in it too. There was a 1998 remake of it, but I haven't seen that one yet.

It's good that it doesn't have too much music in it, because the music is exceptionally bland -- even for a 1960s musical. The movie had to be cut down in length 3 times because it was claimed to put the audience to sleep. This was made for kids, not adults. So enjoy it by being a kid again. Enjoy some of the cool scenes, effects, pretty dresses, & a fair story.

It won several Academy awards, & was nominated for many more. But it is believed that the studio wined, dined, & bribed Academy members for awards -- something that is rumored to still happen today.

364mb, DVD quality, 136 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. Our next feature is an Italian film from 1988, with English subtitles. It won an Academy Award for Best Foreign film. There are several versions of the film, including a 177 minute directors cut. This is the award winning international version. The film didn't do well in Italy, but was praised internationally. This sentimental film is hard to describe... you have to watch it, or watch it again if you've forgotten the details of the story.

295mb, almost HD quality, 118 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. There was only supposed to be 6 movies featured in this set. Then I stumbled upon this old forgotten 1978 VHS quality film in my collection, based on a 1968 song. The quality was so bad, I couldn't really do anything to clean it up. Sit back more than 6 feet from a big screen, or watch on a small screen, & it's more watchable. Although this was produced for theaters, it resembles a made for TV movie or sitcom. In 1980 they did make a sitcom out of it too. 30 episodes aired. I never heard of it, so my guess is that the sitcom series didn't do well. Still, this forgotten movie was fun to watch again.

97mb, low VHS quality, 98 minutes.

They're all in our movie section along with much more at,
http://pearlcorona.org/betties/index.php?board=7.0
Don't forget to check out our TV section too.
(members access only)

Who needs cable TV when you got Betty's?

We are currently running about 26 movies, & about 45 TV episodes (mostly 45-50 minutes each). Please support us with a donation.

Offline Betty

• Administrator
Season 2 Trek episodes 11-20 added
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2017, 09:37:58 PM »
I've added episodes 11-20 of the second Trek season.

Each episode is 85mb to 160mb in size, depending on the complexity of the scenery & action of the episode. All 10 of these episodes combined are only a total of 1.45gb in size (for about 8 hours of almost HD video).

Enjoy Trek fans!

They're in our Television section in our member's private viewing area near the bottom of Betty's Pub. If you're not a member, you won't see it or other special sections.

While you're down there, check our movie section too -- now larger than ever!

Betty's is now running about 93 hours of video, with more to come. And that doesn't even include much more material at our 2 YouTube channels, plus hundreds of hours of our music channels returning soon (currently busy upgrading/updating our radio channels).

Don't forget to support it all with a donation. It is not possible for free. It takes a lot of time, work, technology, & money.

Offline Betty

• Administrator
Trek episodes 21-26
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 04:37:46 AM »
I just posted the last 6 Star Trek episodes from season 2.

I'll probably have the first 10 episodes of season 3 (their final season) enhanced, converted, compressed, & posted some time next week.

There is a significant amount of processing to the videos to get them down to a small file size & still have them look pretty good. I can actually get these down to 40-60mb per episode, but although it would be watchable, it wouldn't look pretty. I can also just push a button to compress them down to a smaller file size in 10-20 minutes per episode, but it won't look as good as possible that way. It takes considerably more time to do it nice.

Then, I have to upload these to the google server at anywhere from 40-70 minutes per episode (uploading is 10 times lot slower than downloading).

These last 6 episodes are around 141-166mb per episode, in enhanced BettyVision, & about 50 minutes each.

Enjoy!

(Betty's Pub members only)

Offline Betty

• Administrator
10 more Academy nominees
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 05:24:18 AM »
The time or view limits has expired on most of the previous 11 nominees, & they've been removed. But we have 10 more Academy Award nominees to see. In this set I also include some of the animated movies, & short nominated films that I liked.

These are only viewable to Betty's Pub members. You will not see our private sections if you are not a member & not logged in.

Enjoy!

Offline Betty

• Administrator
Movies of boys wearing dresses
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 02:07:53 AM »
This weekend we bring you 2 foreign movies of boys wearing dresses. One is a pretty cool French film, & the other was a Polish film compiled from a very popular Polish TV, 6-part mini-series.

1. French 1989
Boy dresses as a girl to escape an angry town, police, & Germans.
I actually had this movie on VHS tape when it was still fairly new. With no subtitles, & my French not being very good, I still enjoyed the movie, & understood the basic story enough, without understanding the details. Alas, all tapes & VCD copies of them were lost in the fire.

In the 1990s, Betty's even featured some brief clips & a gallery of caps from the film. I just recently found another copy of it. But the DVD version was no better than the VHS version -- but very good VHS quality. Doing what enhancing & color repairs that were possible, the film looks a lot better than the DVD or VHS versions avalable, but still not quite excellent DVD quality. It also was in old TV 4:3 format. I expanded it a little bit in our own special way so it fits modern screens just a little bit better -- without over-stretching or too much cropping & ruining the film.

Spoiler alert -- What seems to be a fun movie, has a very, very sad, disappointing ending. Why make a great fun movie only to end it so tragically? If you want to write a story of the tragedies of war, just do it. Don't write a fun or adventure story, & then suddenly tramtically end it! It's like taking us on a fun amusement ride, & then slapping us in the face after it's done -- what was the point of that?

As a bonus, with the collaboration of friends, we bring this to you with English subtitles!

339mb, SuperVCD quality, In BettyVision, English subs, 103 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Polish 1980

Bother & sister trade places to avoid some problems, & get into mischief.

This film was actually a popular 1977 6-part Polish TV mini-series. What they did was take the 6, 43-45 minute VCD or 16mm quality episodes, & edited it down to an 82 minute movie. To remove so much of the series & make the film so short, they sort of ruined it. Too many cool & fun parts are gone. You'd think they would have tried to make it at least 2 hours long so they didn't have to cut out so much fun & silly stuff.

But we feature it here, along with the original series because friends & I have made subtitles for it. It would have taken weeks to make subtitles for the series. It took me days just to fix & clean up the quality of the series, then expand it properly to fit modern screens better. So there are no subs for the series.

I highly recommend to watch the film with subtitles first so you understand the story. Then you will enjoy watching the series more, even without subs.

298mb, SuperVCD quality in BettyVision, English subs, 82 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Polish 1977

This is the original 6-part Polish TV series of the above. It was very popular in Europe. We even featured brief clips & a gallery of the series here. It's much more fun to watch than the 1980 movie, but has no subtitles. So you should really watch the above 82 minute movie first with the subtitles we've made, so you understand the story before watching this series.

You've probably seen these on youtube... blurry with most episodes all brown, orange, red-brown, yellowed, or generally very discolored.

I had to do a lot of processing to try to clean them up, & make them more watchable, then convert them to fit a modern screen a little better. These were about only about VHS quality originally, so most of you never seen this series look this good before.

I've combined the first 3 episodes into 1 big part, & the last 3 episodes into a second part.

Part 1 (episodes 1-3)
375mb, SVCD quality, in BettyVision, no subs, 127 minutes.

Part 2 (episodes 3-6)
418mb, SVCD quality, in BettyVision, no subs, 129 minutes.

For Betty's Pubs members only (free - no adware, malware, or spyware, all of Betty's has been rated highly safe by Google, yahoo, & alexa for decades)
Restricted to a limited audience. All media in our private viewing section may have an audience limit, time available limit, or views count limit. They will be removed when our limit is reached. So if you wait too long, they may be gone. First come first serve.

No, you don't have to donate money, material, posts, help, or support to use Betty's or our media, but it would be nice.

Online Robyn Jodie

• Global Moderator
Re: Movie Night at Betty's.
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »
A Couple of Quick Questions:
I learned recently that back in December 2015 The Syfy Channel had created a 3-part mini-series of Arthur C. Clarke's "Childhood's End." Reviews appear to have been mixed.
(1) Did anyone see it?
(2) Was it worth watching?
(3) If you read the book, realizing that compressing a 200+ page book to a bit under 3 hours will have to leave a lot out (think of "Lord of the Rings"), how faithful to the book do you think it was?

Offline Betty

• Administrator
A.C. Clarke
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2017, 03:41:28 PM »
When you consider most Clarke novels spend a considerable amount of text describing scenes & details for you to visualize, it's not far-fetched that with pictures in a movie it could be only a couple hours long. But being a cable channel production, don't expect a 100 million dollar film.

I didn't hear of the production. Thanks. I'll look it up & see if it's still around. I'd love to hear the 1997 BBC radio version too. I didn't know a radio broadcast of it existed either until just now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childhood%27s_End
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childhood%27s_End_%28miniseries%29
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4146128/

From what I've read so far, the series is nothing like the book. It was severely altered & mangled. Perhaps it will be more fun to watch if you disregard that it was supposed to be based on the book, or if you never read it.

Wow. Over 200 pages long? It didn't seem that long ages ago when I read it. Maybe I got a condensed version.

Offline Betty

• Administrator
A.C. Clarke
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »
I found it. Each part of the series averages around 80 minutes each, making the entire thing about 4 hours long. One of the things I really hate about commercial American TV is 1/3 of every hour is commercials. So these probably ran as 2-hour episodes with 20 minutes of commercials per hour.

I know free TV must be paid for somehow, but 20 minutes of ads per hour is way too much & greedy. When was the last time you saw somebody active in that business begging for food, or complaining they can't afford heath insurance? Even a minor role on a minor failing TV show for just a single episode gets you a $10,000 paycheck these days. A star of a popular show can get $100,000 to $1.5 million per episode.

The audiobook, appears to be 7-7.5 hours long.

The BBC radio show of it, is in 2 parts, each about 57 minutes long, so almost 2 hours total. I can't see how they could do that without cutting & ruining a lot of the story.

Offline Betty

• Administrator
Hamilton-The movie
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 07:28:16 AM »
I've been reading that tickets for the Broadway show Hamilton, are selling for $85-$500... IF you're lucky to even get a ticket. There may be a couple thousand tickets available for several showtimes & dates, but 80,000 or more people wanting to see the show in the area it's showing. Then, ticket scalpers using bots on dozens of internet connections simultaneously are snapping up a significant portion of the tickets. They try to re-sell even those $85 tickets for $1,000 each.

First of all, you're a raging fool to pay $85 for any show ($34 an hour?), & absolutely, totally insane to pay $1,000 each for a show ($400 an hour). A wise person would wait until the hype of the show calms down, therefore dropping the price... or at least wait for a movie or TV special of it comes out.

Granted, I'm a little prejudiced though. I like a wide variety of music, I like a good story, but I guess I don't have the "musical" gene. I don't like most musicals, especially modern ones. A musical used to be a story, with acting, with SOME singing & dancing in it. An OPERA is supposed to be mostly or all singing -- maybe with dancing, & very little or no acting. But these days, almost all modern operas that aren't playing traditional old classical music, they're calling "musicals" when they're really not. But they sell more tickets by calling an opera, a musical, & it gets on Broadway. So they lie & tell you their opera is a musical.

I'm not being old fashioned. Don't try to change my language by changing the definition of stuff to fit your corporate or production profit margin. Calling an opera, a musical is just a lie, & not redefining musicals.

Anywho, much to the disappointment of fans, we found out the, ahem... Opera, "Hamilton" won't be coming to our town until late 2018. The ticket prices to purchase months in advance are predicted to be just as high as today. Don't even expect to find tickets a month or so before the show. When they go for sale in advance, 4-6 months before the showing, they're expected to be sold out in a day. However, your friendly neighborhood hoodlums will sell you a scalped ticket for $1,000. Just hope that 1,000 bought you a real ticket & not a counterfeit fake one.

So here's the entire video of the show. The first minute of the video is all blackened out, but the rest of it looks pretty good. A few tweaks with your graphic equalizer or tone controls make the sound pretty good too. For those lost on an equalizer, or think they know how to use one but usually just make it sound worse, use these settings:

The upper band of the bass or the lower band of the mid-range should be turned down a little to reduce the hollow & boomy sound. The upper band of the midrange or lower band of the treble should be turned up a little to restore the brightness back to the vocals & instruments.

I had this 2 1/2 hour show compressed down to incredibly small 344mb. But although that looked like fair DVD quality, it didn't do the show justice as a substitute for paying a fortune to see it live, or waiting years for the price to come down. So I enhanced up to HD quality.

481mb, HD quality BettyVision, 151 minutes.

This isn't really an official movie production but just a good quality video (enhanced by me). So it's in our private TV viewing section, not the movie section.
(members only)

The more you give,

the more I can give back.

The dots in the map below represent every person who visited Betty's since Dec. 9, 2017. Blinking dots show people currently here. However if you haven't clicked on anything in a couple minutes your dot won't blink until you click on something again.

web
statistics

Hits to Betty's Pubs since Sept. 30th, 2004

eXTReMe Tracker

Website, forum design, software, & security on this site is copyrighted. It was made personally by Betty Pearl, of Betty Pearl's Pubs, & Sissy Stories. Betty's Pub is a non-profit organization & support group for the transgendered, & Fetware community. We don't sell anything, there are no ads, & we don't data mine your personal information & habits to sell like MOST other sites do. We respect your privacy & won't sell it out for a few bucks.

Site for: sissify, sissification, sissyfication, feminization, petticoated, adult baby stories, diaper stories, regression, Sissy stories, ABDL stories, sissies, sissy boys, crossdressing, crossdressers, transvestites, transsexuals, adult babies, diaper, diapered, frilly dresses, ruffles, bows, lace, & tutu.